Saturday, April 18, 2009

Old Friends



I came across this drawing in my archives, it was given to me by Hyonmun Sunim about 15 years ago, shortly before he became a monk. The image of him was drawn by his friend in Poland and I always thought the caption (although in Polish) was really quite hilarious. It says, "Either I will get enlightenment, or I will change my tradition!"

This is the danger facing those who are choosing to invent their own spiritual path. We can choose those things we like and discard those things we don't like. It is usually those places in our lives that we are uncomfortable with that are the places we need to investigate. Jellaudin Rumi once said, "these spiritual window shoppers, shadows with no capital." We have to invest ourselves honestly and truthfully to make a progress in our practice. We have to commit one hundred percent to being completely and blatantly honest with ourselves and the world around us. As the old zen saying goes, "when standing at the top of a one hundred foot flagpole, one more step is necessary."



a recent photo of Hyonmun Sunim.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Uku said...

Really cool drawing, wow!

I really like this post of yours. I think it's very important to "stick" in one tradition, to practice it wholeheartedly and I find your words very inspiring.

Thank you, Paul.

April 19, 2009 at 12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the artwork.
Although I have found a home in Zen Buddhism, I am not ready to get rid of the Qabalah, Advaita Vedanta, Tao or Sufi books just yet. Interesting that you quote Rumi.
Gassho, Glenda

April 19, 2009 at 2:47 AM  
Blogger Algernon said...

He was Head Monk the first time I attempted to sit a week of Kyol Che. A very memorable retreat, that was, and a dear old friend, him.

April 19, 2009 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

Don't wobble!

Of course, I wobble all the time, in every imaginable way. Maybe I'll attain that wobbling!

April 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home