Sunday, February 14, 2010

Dr. Who


I know that this may be a pretty weird post for this blog, but I wanted to just acknowledge a bit of my past. When I was in fourth grade my father, who was a Master Sargent in the United States Air Force, was transfered from Northern California to High Wycombe, England. I remember arriving in High Wycombe where we stayed at the Priory Hotel for several months prior to us finding a house that we could rent. Back in 1966 there were only three channels on television in England, BBC1, BBC2 and ITV, and they didn't broadcast all day either. Anyway, one show that grabbed my attention as a young boy was a show titled Dr. Who. The series is still on, and I watched a compilation of episodes tonight on BBC America titled "the End of Time." It is amazing that the show is still on all these years later, and although still a bit campy it transported me back in time, to this little boy sitting on the carpet in the Lounge area of the Priory Hotel, and old Victorian Mansion that was converted into a hotel.

There are moments in our lives, where we hear a sound, or smell something and we are instantly transported to a place in our storehouse consciousness, and those moments become real in the present. Anyway, I have followed the Good Doctor on and off over the years, PBS used to broadcast the show for a time. When my mom went back to England in the 1980's she asked me if I wanted something, and I told her that I wanted one of those real long neck scarves like Dr. Who wore. I still have it and it still brings me great pleasure all these years later.

The music for the show was so far ahead of its time, Pink Floyd later caught up with a theme song that was originally created in 1963. Maybe this won't make sense to many of you, but I had to share it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Algernon said...

This is sweet. I grew up watching these shows with my dad (that was the era of Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker).

February 15, 2010 at 10:32 AM  
Blogger Wonji Dharma said...

Thanks, didn't know so many Americans watched Dr. Who, thanks Mumon for the comments, and all the comments from Facebook friends.

February 17, 2010 at 12:02 AM  
Blogger EDCAT said...

I never did watch Dr Who over in England , but I remember the Priory Inn, as my father was a Major in the Air Force and we were also stationed at High Wycombe, and also had to stay at the Inn for over a month. I remember playing with my trucks on the floor of the tv room, with the English ladies and my mother watching, this was in 1963 at the height of the Cold War, I was six, John F. Kennedy was President, and my dad was sent to England to do a job, which he did, and where we stayed for 3 years. There were some old English ruins behind the Inn, and we would explore them like they were English Castles, back when a kid could disappear for hours, and no one would worry. These were happy times in my childhood, and I thank you for reminding me of them.

October 26, 2014 at 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home