Friday, December 12, 2008

Wanting Enlightenment



Wanting enlightenment is like going to the airport say in Los Angeles and asking for a ticket to Los Angeles. The ticket agent will most likely tell you, “You’re already in Los Angeles.”
“But you don’t understand,” the person will say, “I want to go to Los Angeles.”
“But you’re already in Los Angeles.”
“No, no! I want to go to Los Angeles.”
“O.K.,” so the ticket agent might say. “We can route you from Los Angeles to San Francisco, then to Denver, then to Chicago, then to New York, then to Atlanta, then to Dallas, then to Phoenix, then to Los Angeles. Would you like that?”“Wonderful,” the seeker will say as if in a dream.

Zen practice is just like this-you are already there, but you don’t know it.

Its like Linji said, "looking for the true meaning of life is much like riding an ox, while looking for the ox.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

I heard that the scenery is better in San Francisco. And New York has better food. And I can work on my tan in Phoenix.

Maybe I need a new travel agent!

December 12, 2008 at 10:11 AM  
Blogger Uku said...

Sometimes it's just better to stay at home and eat some bananas.

December 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger zensquared said...

I want to go to Los Angeles. :)

December 14, 2008 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Algernon said...

Yeah but I like the robes they wear in Phoenix, and there's this cool teacher "I connect with" in Dallas, but they have better food in Des Moines, and oh the scenery is better in Portland (helps me meditate better!), but there's this girl in San Francisco... when will I ever be happy??

:-) :-) :-) :-)

December 15, 2008 at 5:42 AM  
Blogger SlowZen said...

Too cold in Portland, I just want to be someplace warm with some solitude. How about india?

December 17, 2008 at 4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home