Saturday, October 25, 2008

customs gate



I was quite blessed to be able to spend three weeks with the Venerabale Maha Ghosananda and Zen Master Sungsan while we traveled through China in 1996. Maha Ghosananda was always pulling some treat or surprise out of his saffron robes, and always had this luminous smile on his face. Just being in his presence was a moving experience for me and I must say that I have very fond memories of the times as well as the silence we shared on this trip.


leaving china with mixed emotions
passing through customs at shenzhen
my bags are much heavier
now than before
from all of the gifts I have bought
the sign says;
Hong Kong Residents Only.
my group proceeds and I ask,
“shouldn’t we go that way?”
“oh no, this is the correct way.”
looking up and down at the
customs gates
all of them have signs which read,
Hong Kong Residents Only.
a chinese official tells us,
we must turn around and go back
because we’ve come the wrong way.
when we finally arrive at
Hong Kong Customs
turning around the corner
there is Maha Ghosananda
his paperwork is done
and his processing complete
Maha Ghosananda has taught us all today
only go straight
and pay attention to the signs.

October 7, 1996
Hong Kong Customs
photo: Maha Ghosananda, Dakchun fashi, and Dochong, JDPSN at Yunmensi PRC
photo2: Maha Ghosanada and Dochong, JDPSN in Hong Kong

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home