Wednesday, October 14, 2009

a fortune cookie of wisdom


In the last fifteen years I have been through a significant amount of changes. Experiences have come and gone but on two separate occasions I received the exact same message in a fortune cookie. The simple statement, which isn’t the common fortune cookie fare, really struck me the first time. And then when I received it again about ten years later I figured it really meant something to me.

This fortune read, “you think it is a secret, but it never has been one.” Most of us live our lives trying to fool others into buying our projected images. We try to convince those around us that we are something that perhaps we aren’t. What this cookie told me was simple, we are good at fooling ourselves, but most people can see through the projections and desires. We are who and what we are moment after moment. It isn’t important to be interesting, loving, intellectual, knowledgeable, successful, competitive, moving forward, moving backward, joining, separating, conservative, liberal, or any other idea of what we think we need to be.

The cookie made me realize that we are just what we are and can’t deceive anyone but ourselves. So I bow to the honorable cookie maker who gave me this insight all those years ago.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Manisha Sharma said...

It means a lot and has indepth meaning to it. Hoping it reaches and gives right message to all the people who read ur blog... Life is never a secret , it just needs to be explored in right wisdom, positive attitude, right path..

October 15, 2009 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger RMV's Colleague said...

Thanks for sharing. It is also meant a lot to me the same as you are. May peace be with you.

October 15, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home