Friday, April 16, 2010

Zen 2009 Dogen Movie



I gave myself a treat last night after finishing my year end Book Keeping and the Corporate Taxes for my Business and all of our partners and watched the movie "Zen" which is about the life of the great Soto Master Dogen. Takahashi’s Zen (2009) not only gives you an opportunity to learn about a clear-cut history of Zen Buddhism in Japan in just over two hours, but also captivates you with unsullied spiritual insights.

I must say that I am always up for any movie about Buddhism and especially Zen Buddhism, yet I seem to be always disappointed. I must say that I enjoyed the movie at times, but as is the case with many of these endeavors, it seems that the producers seem to attach to romantic engagements rather than accurate representations of history. When Dogen visited China in search of his authentic Zen Teacher I found it strange that all of the Chinese Monks, including his future teacher, all wore Japanese Robes. Also, the temples he visits in China all have a Japanese flair and look nothing like any of the Chinese Temples I have visited all over China over the last 15 years.

It isn't a huge shortcoming, not as much as the CGI shorts which were meant to represent Dogen's Awakening experiences. They were more like shorts from an LSD trip or even an early 1960's representation of transcendence, anyway I could have lived without the visual references which will just serve to make people think that enlightenment has something to do with flying across the universe on a giant Lotus Flower.

There is also a weird reference to a story that is originally attributed to Sakyamuni Buddha about a young woman who's son is dying. He tells her to visit all the houses and find some mustard seeds collected from homes where they have not experienced death. It is common for Zen Teachers to use these old analogies to teach student, but I have never read that Dogen used this specific teaching. There is enough history on this seminal figure that the writers could have discovered something more of a personal insight that Dogen gave us.

There is too much use of the "E" word (enlightenment) in the movie as if it really exists. Teachers don't address this directly, and even if it does exist the experience isn't contained in the word.

The scene where Dogen passes into Nirvana (he dies in the Dharma Room) and everyone continues sitting in meditation after knowing their master has died is just too much for me to handle. If meditation means that we lose our original job then I am not interested in that type of practice.

The movie is worth watching, and I recommend it. Just see it for what it is, a romanticized view of a very seminal figure in the advancement of the Dharma. Some of the Cinematography is wonderful and some of the Dharma talks are inspiring. Anyway, you must find your own opinion on the movie.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Pi said...

very interesting! I hadnt heard about this movie and will look forward to checking it out!

(p.s. does anyone know what Thomas Cleary is up to these days?)

Bodhi, Svaha! gassho

April 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM  
Blogger mickeyman said...

Actually, I really liked the part of the woman tasked with finding a family with no experience of death. But then, my previous knowledge of Dogen was miniscule.

January 18, 2015 at 11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home