Saturday, September 19, 2009

Signal To Noise - Peter Gabriel - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (Live)

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Peter Gabriel performing live in a concert - Signal to noise

I got to see Peter Gabriel back, I think it was '04, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be, on his Growing Up Tour in Anaheim. Actually I was three rows from the revolving stage and have always loved Peter's progressive and brilliant writing. He did play the piece that Nusrat sings in the background, and unfortunately Nusrat had passed away several years before the concert. I started listening to Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan in 1994 when one of the residents of the Ocean Eyes Zen Center bought one of his CD's and all the Zen students became instant fans. I just discovered this recording on youtube and wanted to share it with everyone.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger NellaLou said...

Nusrat is one of my favorites also. The album Ecstasy was probably the most accessible to many American people. The passion with which he sings is overwhelming.

September 19, 2009 at 4:30 AM  
Blogger Wonji Dharma said...

Thank you for the comments. I have posted Videos by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and have never received a comment on one of them, so I thank you for this. I have posted videos by Yusuf Islam as well and it appears that most readers of my blogs don't know what to say when I post something by a Muslim. I see you are in India, and I hope that the interest in openess can grow over time. My current Zen Teacher studied Sufism for a few years and I am glad for it.

Namaste

September 19, 2009 at 4:40 AM  
Blogger NellaLou said...

Many of the Indian Muslims I know practice a hybrid sort of Islam with Sufi overtones. There is a fair amount of veneration of saints (like at the tombs of the Chishti saints at the Jama Masjid (the biggest mosque) in Delhi). Locally there are observances (placing of green cloths and sweets) at the small tombs of the Pirs. As well there are several Qawalli groups that sing at festivals-like at Eid tomorrow-and give performances. Some of these are from the state of Kashmir where they have left due to the violence there. It is a very peace loving and poetic tradition. I feel lucky to be able to enjoy it and hope others give it a chance as well.

September 20, 2009 at 4:20 AM  
Blogger Wonji Dharma said...

Thanks for the heartfelt comments and education for all of us. I would agree that when we get beyond our ideas and opinions we can discover the beauty that exists all around us.

September 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home